Monday, November 8, 2010

Natalie Off Duty:






Natalie Suarez of natalieoffduty has long been at the top of our list of favorite bloggers. So naturally when we spotted her in a Free People catalog wearing one of our bags it was all we could talk about! She graciously agreed to be our featured blogger, picked some of her favorite items from our line, and answered a ridiculous amount of questions. Read on to find out more about the life of a model off duty and get details on how to WIN HER STYLE!





1. How would you describe yourself and what you do?
I am a model, but I share my thoughts on fashion as well as photos of my personal style on my blog, Natalie Off Duty. Not only am I interested in fashion, but I also love music. Through singing and playing the guitar and piano, I also get to express myself.

2. What is your take on the ever increasing importance placed on bloggers in the fashion world?
I love how important and powerful bloggers are now in the fashion world. These fashion bloggers are all real girls and guys with their own unique take on fashion. To many, they are so much more relateable than what we see in fashion magazines. Real people wearing clothes that are accessible to everyone is what has attracted so many people to these blogs.


3. What inspires your style?
So many things inspire me when I get dressed. I love going to street style websites for a little inspiration, but honestly, it really depends on my mood. I wear whatever I feel comfortable in and what makes me feel good that day. I wear a lot of vintage because I never liked looking like everyone else. Also, staying away from trends, has helped me stick to a more classic style.


4. What criteria do you use when selecting which outfits you will photograph?
If it is an outfit that I love and feel great in, I will photograph it. Also, it makes it even better playing around with lighting and settings for my photographs. It makes me love the outfit even more! My sister, Dylana of Nana in Wonderland, is an amazing photographer and takes all my photos. We always end up having a blast, which makes for some really great shots!




5. What era of fashion is most influential to you personally?
I really liked the 50's and 70's. I look at my grandparent's photos and take a bit of inspiration from them. They pulled off some really amazing looks! I liked the classic, tailored looks of the 50s as well as the bohemian looks of the 70's.

6. If you could raid anyone's closet living or dead who would it be and why?
I would definitely like to raid Lou Doillon's closet. She has so many unique pieces of clothing (old and new) that I am sure I will have fun playing around with. Everything is very French about her style which I love!


7. What music are you currently listening to?
I listen to all types of music. I love Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, Erykah Badu, Vampire Weekend, and Sun-Kil Moon. Definitely a crazy mix!

8. What trends are you looking forward to this season?
This season, I am very into cable knit, chunky sweaters and structured coats. I cannot wait till the weather cools off and I get to wear more winter pieces!

9. What are your favorite things about the Melie Bianco bags you chose and what caused you to gravitate towards them in the first place?
I love the Melie Bianco shoulder bags. I chose three different bags: a floral bag, red bag, and studded bag. They work well with my wardrobe because I love feminine, but tough grungy pieces, so the floral and studded shoulder bags were perfect for me!


10. Any advice for aspiring bloggers?
It is important to just be yourself. Readers will love you for your originality.


11. Where do you see yourself ten years from now? Will you still be blogging?
10 years seems so far away! I have no idea if I will still be blogging. I hope that whatever I am do is what makes me happy.

12. When building an outfit do you start with the accessories or the clothing?
I usually start with my favorite piece in the outfit, whether it be a dress or bag. I try to make my favorite piece stand out and then add in understated extra pieces to an outfit.

13. What is your favorite piece of clothing and why?
Right now, I am in love with my flat ankle boots. They work well with just about everything in my closet!


14. You have received a lot of recognition lately on the internet and in the press, what effect has this had on your posts?
Yes, I am very thankful for that. I post whatever it is I like and what pleases me. I post for myself and just keep it really honest and raw. I hope that is what my readers like most about my blog.

15. When do you first remember being aware of fashion?
My older sister actually introduced me to fashion and showed me magazines like Teen Vogue. The photography and editorials were so beautiful and inspiring. I became fascinated. Eventually I started working as a model. Through modeling, I have seen so much inside the fashion world. It has also really helped me develop my own personal style. Having a blog has been a great way to share my view with others.






So, while we wish we could give you her model good looks, impeccable style, and wonderful photographer of a sister.......all we can offer you is one of her Melie Bianco picks (which is still pretty cool!)


All you have to do is follow us and Natalie on twitter (@meliebianco / @natalieoffduty) and then leave a comment with your email address (so we can let you know if you win) and your twitter name!





Rachel - $74 on meliebianco.com




XOXO

Maurissa

12 comments:

GorJess Fashion For Less said...

I would love to win! Follow both of you on Twitter. User Name Jessica0210.

andjj106 at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!

Lexiquin said...

@Lexiquin follows both of you on Twitter.
Love the photos of you wearing hats!
aleq13@gmail.com

Patricia C said...

following both @meliebianco / @natalieoffduty on twitter @tuinimary

Lynzy said...

How adorable!
I follow both on twitter with @sparklingsteps!

xo Lynzy
email: lynzy@fromskirtstoskillets.com

jaimeseal said...

I follow both @jaimeseal! I would love to win one of her MB picks!

Dylana Suarez said...

Great interview! I actually wore this red bag recently (borrowed from my sister! haha), and it will be up on the blog later this week! Let me know if you would like to feature anything on Nana in Wonderland! I love your stuff :)

xoxo,

Dylana

abbyt123 said...

I love your blog and follow you on twitter. It's great to see how many different ways to wear outfits. I look to you on how to pair clothes with shoes, and accessories. Thanks!

my email: abbyt@netzero.com

Abby

I also lost 20 lbs and can't wait to start shopping for my size of 4! I need to get a job 1st. Winning the contest will really help!

Kristen said...

I love your bags! Love, love love!!!

I am following both of you on twitter! @kwalk106

kristen.walker106 at gmail.com

CyTo said...

Hello!

I follow both you and natalie on twitter
twitter handle: cmumpy

Thanks so much for this opportunity to win one of your gorgeous bags!

Cynthia
cmumpy AT gmail DOT com

Antonia said...

follow you both @antoniawt
frannybadger at gmail dot com

Unknown said...

LOVE the color & the tassels.

I am following you both via Twitter: @saucyfbaby

saucy.baby21[at]gmail[dot][com]

Thanks for the chance! =]

xo Nicole

Marci said...

Wow...I would love to win one of these bags and I think it's awesome that she's sporting Melie Bianco bags!!

I follow both of you on twitter
@TheMarciFactor

emmerswee at gmail dot com

Pages

melie bianco. Powered by Blogger.